About Me

My photo
Frenglish with uncontrollable laughter and a serious case of talkativeness

Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Churchill's Turf

I know it has been a ridiculously long time since I have posted something, these past couple of weeks have been very crazy. I won't bore you with a long blog (fear not), I'll just run through what I consider have been the most amazing highlights of my near month stay over here.

I've started work! Interning at the British Embassy wasn't as intimdating, nore freakishly complicated as I thought it would be. Everyone here is very nice and welcomed me instantly inspite of my considerably young age (yes 22 is considered 6 years old in an establishment such as this one). I'm based in this department called Corporate Services (I know, huh? what?) - basically it's the dept. that runs the whole building (from accommdation to health insurance to conference organising etc.). It's a pretty sweet way of starting because after two weeks I've gotten the low down of how exactly a place such as this works. I'm going to be rotating in different depts (after next week I'll start in the Global Affairs Dept where I'll be moving onto more current issues, my favourite in particular being climate change).


So, so far so good. I get my own security badge and access code, I've made friends with the security guards who smile at the little girl who bikes to work everyday whilst everyone else arrives in rolls royces and audis. FYI bike has been a huge success for getting to work (it only takes 20 minutes and I go through this gorgeous park as well).

I leave you with a little anecdote which believe it or not wikipedia will explain better than me: "Outside the British ambassador's residence stands a statue of Winston Churchill. One of the statue's feet is inside the marked embassy grounds; the other is within the District of Columbia. This symbolizes Churchill's Anglo-American parentage (his father was British, his mother American) and his status as an honorary citizen of the United States". Pretty cool bit of trivia there for you.

No comments: